Friday 21 February 2014

Pretty Thrifty

For too long has the wedding industry held the engaged hostage with sky high prices & unrealistic ideals; welcome to the thrifty revolution!


One week ago today I launched my new business Pretty Thrifty. I'd been thinking about it for a long time, probably around 18 months and a couple of months ago I decided to go for it an started building my website.

Pretty Thrifty is a brand new wedding blog that's a little different; the focus of the blog is affordability and cutting costs without cutting corners. When I first started working in the wedding industry I became acutely aware of how expensive everything within that industry seems to be. I for one could not afford half of the things that I saw when I was looking for inspiration for my own wedding last year.

Affordability is very important to me, I have always been a strong believer that the best quality products shouldn't just be for the wealthy. I am a bargain hunter at heart and I try to offer an affordable service to all my clients.



In times past a wedding wasn't an excuse to wax 30k on one day of your life, it was about family and friends celebrating the love between two people. Back then everybody pitched in when there was a wedding on the horizon, from mothers making dresses to friends growing flowers and Grans baking cakes, it really was a team effort. There's been a bit of a resurgence of this kind of approach in recent years and DIY weddings have become very popular. I don't know if it's solely to do with the current financial climate or that people are genuinely kicking back against the over inflated prices and fear based marketing that some (not all) in this industry employ.

So I wanted to set up Pretty Thrifty: the blog for couples with more sense than money to help, inspire, promote and share all things to do with a Thrifty Wedding. I am not against the luxury side of the wedding industry per say, I just know it's not for me, and if you think that maybe it's not really for you either then come and join me, I'd love to hear from Brides & Grooms planning an affordable wedding, or others like me that regard affordability and perhaps more importantly value for money, highly.

To begin with I'll be blogging 3 - 4 times per week about things like sourcing 2nd hand wedding dresses, quality craft tutorials, real thrifty wedding inspiration, some serious money saving tips, planning advice from the pros and tonnes of special offers. I'll also be featuring wedding suppliers that have been carefully selected and vetted and meet the thrifty ethos of affordability!

Not everything that's cheap is nasty

Shelley
x

1 comment:

  1. This website could not have arrived in a more auspicious time! There had been marriages that failed due to debt incurred from wedding expenses, of all things! While everyone wants a perfect wedding, it's never good to have debt that you may never be able to pay. Thanks for this new website, and I hope it gets out there so more couples can read and learn from it.
    OddBallWebSolutions.com.au

    ReplyDelete